1. Chicken medium size pieces : 1/2 kg
2. Big onion chopped : 2
3. Tomato : 1
4. Green chillies : 2
5. Biryani rice : 2 cups
6. Coconut milk : 2 cups (milk taken out of ½ coconut (medium size)) +2 cups water
7. Red chili powder : 1 tbsp
8. Coriander powder : 1 ½ tbsp
9. Turmeric powder : 1 tsp
10. Ginger garlic paste : 1 tsp
11. Salt : 1 tbsp
12. Thick curd : 1/4 cup (50 ml)
13. Mint leaf : 2 handfuls
14. Clove : 2
15. Cardamom : 2
16. Cinnamon : 2 pieces
17. Bay leaf : 2 small pieces
18. Fennel seeds : 1 teaspoon
1. Cut the chicken pieces to the required size.
2. Wash well, drain out the water and marinate with the items given in’ for marination’.
3. Let it get marinated for 30 minutes.
4. Mean time keep the coconut milk ready.
5. Wash and soak the rice for 10 minutes. Then drain the water completely.
6. In a kadai in a teaspoon of butter or ghee fry the rice till it does not stick to the kadai in medium fire.
7. Now keep the kadai or the vessel in which you cook the biryani in the stove.
8. Pour 1 table spoon ghee and 1 table spoon cooking oil and season with the items given in ‘to season’.
9. Now add the onion, chilies and tomato pieces.
10. Sauté for a while and then add the marinated chicken pieces.
11. Sauté everything well in medium fire for 2 minutes.
12. Now reduce the flame and close the vessel with a lid (If using cooker vessel, close it with a plate) and let the chicken get cooked for 5 minutes.
13. After 5 minutes open the kadai and check whether there is excess water, if so increase the flame and stir for a minute.
14. Now add the 2 cups of coconut milk along with two cups of water.
15. Let the mixture come to a boil.
16. Now add the salt needed for the rice along with the rice kept ready. Mix everything well. In this stage reduce the flame, close the kadai and cook for 7 to 8 minutes(cook till all the water gets absorbed)checking in between so that it doesn’t get burnt.
17. In the next stove heat flat tawa in medium fire.
18. Open the lid after 7 minutes and mix everything well. Let the fire be very low now. Now close the kadai with the hot tawa so that the top portion gets cooked by the heat of the tawa.
19. The heat of the tawa will be there for 5 minutes. If you have another tawa, that can be used next heating side by side. If you don’t have one don’t worry, Heat this tawa itself and put on top one more time.
19. By the second time the biryani will be rightly cooked. Garnish with coriander leaves and serve along with raitha.
Note: Thos who don’t have the tawa to put on top can keep the vessel on top of the tawa in low flame in that stage.If you cant do that even then add 1/2 cup more water in the beginning and cook.After the water gets absorbed cook for 5 minutes more in low fire stirring in between