1. Brinjal(eggplant) : 4 big
2. Salt to taste
3. Mustard oil : 3-4 teaspoon
4. Onion : 1 medium size
5. Tomato : 1 pc
6. Green chilies : 2-3
7. Coriander leaves : a few sprigs
1. Take the brinjal and cut slits into it. Salt the brinjal well, rub some oil (2 teaspoons) into it and put it on a chapatti roasting net or a grill pan on the gas flame. You can also put it in open flame on the gas burner. Dice the onion and tomato into small pieces. Cut green chilies and chop some coriander leaves.
2. Roast the brinjal for 30 minutes or till it is soft. You can prick a fork to test it. Let it cool for 5-7 minutes, take the skin off. Knead it to make it into a smooth paste. Add cut onions, tomatoes, green chilies, and coriander leaves, salt and rest of the mustard oil. Mix well.
3. Serve hot with rice. For people who do not want to eat raw salt, add one more step. Heat 1 teaspoon of oil in a skillet and add the mixture. Stir it for 1or 2 minutes; take it off the heat and serve.
4. Non-vegetarians can add an egg into the mixture. Stir the mixture well on the heat. It will add to the taste. Serve hot.